The 30-story tower was completed in 1971 on the site of a former English-Regency-style mansion of Elihu Root that had been built in 1905 and designed by Carr??re & Hastings. The dark-brown brick full-service building contains only 28 cooperative apartments, served by one passenger elevator, and is set in its own small landscaped plaza. The apartments are all full-floor, and their layouts are impressively spacious; most have nine-and-a-half rooms. The lobby is elegantly awash with travertine marble and the upper floors afford a spectacular view. The building's prime Park Avenue location makes it a neighbor to the boutiques along Madison Avenue and art galleries and restaurants nearby as well as the Frick Collection a block and a half to the west.